Hanmer Springs - Wai Ariki nature park & thermal pools!




The Sheep that snotted on Farrah

Today we left from Lake Tekapo to Hanmer Springs it was a good drive by that I mean I (Wayne) enjoyed driving all the bends and turns, NZ roads are so different from Australian roads they tend to only be one lane even on the major highways. Anyway we made Hanmer springs in great time and hit up the info centre where I (Wayne) came across something so exciting, a llama petting zoo. This was even more exciting than rafting and quad biking activities that we had just previously booked.

After we had checked into the motel we decided to go to the petting zoo and then to the thermal pools later being eclipsed by the excitement of the petting zoo, LLAMAS! Anywho, admission to the petting zoo was $10 probably the best value for any of the activities we have done on this trip also you could pay another $2 and get food to feed the animals, but we weren't allowed to feed the Donkey or Harley the pig because the food upsets their tummies. I have to mention at this point Farrah was also pretty excited but I think she would agree with me that I was the most excited... obssesed... LLAMA!

First animal we petted was these two lovely Clydesdale Horses that I have named Sally and Brittany because they were both female I think... Then we saw Bambi's mum who actually didn't die but was rescued by the owners of the farm how about that! Then we met the sheep they were quite funny characters the biggest sheep (photo above) was either really excitible or had a cold because he sneezed on Farrah and she had sheep snot on her jumper and in her hair. It was soo funny thankfully so did she despite being grossed out LOL.

Then it was time to see the Llamas! man this was probably the most exciting thing I was even allowed to go in the Llama pen and hug the Llamas. There were quite a few 6-7 I think they were mostly after the animal food I had and when ever I tried to pat them they would freak out and run away from me but that was cool, there was one Llama who let me hug him, I think I will name him Gary, Gary is a good name for a Llama. One of the Llamas was very different though, she was very proud and didn't like the animal food, she refused to eat it, I even tried to feed her the very hay she was eating before but she refused to eat it, probably because she could tell I was Aussie and she didn't like Aussie or some thing like that.
The Llama psychie is a complicated thing... I also got to pat Alpachas which kinda look like Llama but are a bit more hairy they were really scared of me unless I had food in my hands. After feeding and petting the Llamas and the Alpacha and then the Llamas again, the Donkey (who I'll name Don) started to speak up in jealous tantrum, I'm sure this is somewhere along the lines of what was going through Don's mind;
"Why don't they want to pat me, what's wrong with me? Just cause I'm not as exotic as those Llamas or the Yak, I'm still loveable?"
So to cut a long story short I went and made friends with the donkey I brought him some of the Llama's hay because he was not allowed to eat the regular animal food, I thought this might cheer him up because he was getting to eat the Llama's food, the phychie of the Donkey was far more complex than that of even Llama...

After that we went to the hot springs where relaxed and reminisced about the animals for a while, ate some over priced New Zeland pizza and called it a night, I'm hoping to have sweet dreams about riding Llamas to work when I start working in my new job and I wonder if they have Llama parking?
Here is a good song.

No comments:

Post a Comment