Change of name


Ok so first step of changing name is done and done. We had to apply to get a registered marriage certificate so that we could use it to change my name.

Then I guess it's all just the beginning, filling out forms and more forms and more forms...and possibly forgetting plenty of other forms. I can see this taking a while, am I right?

So here's a bride's dilemma: To change surname or not to change or keep both?

For me, I think I've already eliminated the prospects of just keeping my own maiden name, I'm tossing up between keeping just his name OR keeping both my maiden name AND his name.

I wish someone can make the decision for me. The problem is, I don't think my name sounds good at all with Wayne's last name, it needs a middle word BUT my last name is long and it will be make my full surname pretty long. Sigh. I know, I know very small issue...but it has been bothering me. Any opinions?

7 comments:

  1. I'm struggling with the same issue to Farrah! I love my name a lot, and I often use my full name, including my middle name. I don't want to stop using what will become my maiden name because I love the alliteration in my name :p But I don't know if I want to not change my name at all. T wants me to take his surname and would be happy if I hypenated, but if I do AND I continue to use my middle name the way I do now, then my name will be long ... and for some reason irrational reason I don't like hyphens which complicates things even more!

    When you reach your decision I'll be interested to hear how you came to it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh I know what you mean! I also don't like hyphens partially because people with hyphens in their names screw up my reports at work so I've become against them and I always complain about it hah.

    Another issue for me is that I love my surname because of my heritage and it reminds me of my culture and I find it hard to part ways with it.

    Anyway your name is so pretty! I think your first and middle names sound lovely together so keep em :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep them! I kept mine, I always planned to though. I like it when women keep their last names. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wayne's mum says keep them both, no need to hyphenate but keep Mukhtar as your middle name, it is part of your heritage, it would be sad to lose it, take Allan as your last name

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm keeping my maiden name as a middle name (I don't have an actual middle name - its not the Greek way) for professional publications because I have published a few small reports with my maiden name already. But hubby and I agree that for us its just easier to both have the same last name for business and future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wise words ladies. Keeping my maiden name as a middle name could be an option. It sounds like the best idea so far and that means that I don't actually have to use my middle name everywhere but at least it will be visible on my passport.

    Esta, I agree that it's just easier as well for future business to have same name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did try to make my husband change his to mine but he wouldn't. Stubborn. I think it would be nice if men sometimes changed their names too.

    ReplyDelete