Tandoori in a hurry

Mixing all the spices together.




Lovely colour! After rubbing the spice mix into the chicken.





Last night my parents came over for dinner for the first time. I wasn't feeling very well so I made a very easy recipe of tandoori chicken served with mint sauce, salad and optional rice.

Tandoori is very healthy, it contains no oil and it's baked. When I was dieting before the wedding, tandoori was on the list of foods I could indulge on and not feel guilty about.

Normally my lovely Mum would make it for me so last night I was testing my skills.

The recipe I used is from one of my favourite TV shows, SBS Safari. All ingredients can be easily bought from an Indian supermarket, most spices can be found in powder form.

Recipe:

1 kg chicken thigh fillets or 8-9 pieces.
200g natural yoghurt
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated finely
1 tbsp garlic, grated finely
1 tbsp tandoori paste (I use Fern's tandoori paste)
½ tsp tandoori food colouring (optional)
2 tsp cumin seeds, ground
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp chilli powder (if you like it hot otherwise without it there is still a bit of spicyness)
½ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Mint sauce and roti to serve

Preparation:

In a bowl mix together yoghurt, salt, chilli, coriander, garlic, ginger, tumeric, cumin, garam masala, food colouring and tandoori paste. Then rub mixture into chicken and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge. *or if you're in a hurry like me I just left it for 30 mins, it's a lot nicer though if you leave it to marinate overnight.

Pre-heat the oven to 190°C. Line a baking dish with foil (this prevents marinade from burning onto baking dish). Place a wire rack over top of baking dish. Remove chicken from marinade and place onto wire rack. Bake for 40 to 45minutes, or until cooked through.

Done!


xo
Farrah

5 comments:

  1. oiy yum I'm so going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh - I love Tandoori! Will have to give this one a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niiiice! I will put this on my to-do list too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe, definitely want to try it out :D

    ReplyDelete