First night without TV & taking up hobbies

This blog is a rambling one - and with no picture, sorry.

I have to admit it was hard coming back home from work and not automatically switching the TV on for a bit of background sound while I cooked dinner.
I felt so lonely, and when I'm alone the TV makes me feel I'm connected to the rest of the world. Does that make sense? or am I the only one? it was weird hearing the clock ticking, but ever so slowly I was eventually used to the silence in the house.
It gave me time to reflect, time to think about life, count my blessings etc. It was nice, different.

When Wayne came back home, I was so over-joyed it was quite funny. I appreciated his company to a greater level, after an hour on my own feeling disconnected from the rest of the world it was like WOW I have someone to talk to now.

We normally sit on the couch and watch TV when we eat dinner but this time we sat on the table like most normal people would do (obviously we're not normal) and talked for ages.

We talk a lot already, but it was nice to share a meal and have a chat rather than watch TV/DVDs. I thought this was truly quality time, watching a movie 'together' is not really quality time. You don't talk when you watch a movie, this is why I never understood why couples on a first date went to the movies? how do you get to know one another?


This TV-ban has been a blessing in my opinion and it will be interesting to see what will happen after 1 month. Are we desparately going to put the plug back in and start watching the rest of our Stargate dvd's? or are we going to have a much stronger appreciation to the time we've saved not watching movies, dvds, or tv shows?
I hope we do get this sense of appreciation. There's just such an obsession in this world with entertaintment, I don't want to be stuck in that bubble.

So now that we have a bit of free time I thought it would be good to take up a few hobbies:

- Sewing (Hi Mum and Nana) pretty much most of my Mum's side know how to sew and I want to learn. I actually know a bit, I just need to practice. So off I go to the op shops! and helllo spotlight! (to my overseas readers, spotlight is a fabric store)

- Wayne has an idea for a business - it's sort of a personal project and he's spending a bit of time researching on it.

- Baking - I haven't had the chance to do much baking, only when I was young to help Mum out.

- Story-writing - Wayne has a fabulous imagination and it's one of his other personal projects which I'd like to encourage him to continue working on.

- Photography - I love photography, pretty much what I'd like to do full time.


What would you take up if you had a bit of free time?

4 comments:

  1. You know what? That sounds kinda wonderful :)

    I think I'm gonna have to talk to T about a tv ban of our own ... but maybe after Masterchef ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every post needs a picture, haha jk! I don't know what I would do without my reality TV! I do love doing so many things away from TV, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, it has been amazing. This weekend I got so much done and last night we spent forever talking. It was just fabulous. Do it!

    Kelsey, lol sorry should have taken a picture of our tv???

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=301&storeId=301&langId=-1&productId=502145614&linkshare=http://www.shopstyle.com/affiliate

    Look what I found! ps. Still hunting for more polkadot awesomeness, I'm glad you like them as much as me!

    ReplyDelete